Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chad Kessler Photos






Chad is one of the more unique personalities rolling around the streets and skateparks of Columbus.. He's a regular contributor to a zine out of Cincinnati called Dead Ramones and the local zine Upper Decker. Here is a short interview and some recent photos.

How long have you been skating?
I was bummed about turning 25 come February until I realized it meant that I had now been skating for most of my life, 12-13 years. Though if you've seen me skate you might guess 2 or 3.
- favorite Columbus skateboarders / people to skate with?
Usually skate with Ricky, OMGB and Nik. I don't like skating around people, I feel retarded. That's why I have a camera.
- When did you start shooting photos?
mm, 9th grade? maybe 8th. Stole my mom's camera and learned how to use it in manual mode, something she still can't do.
- Favorite artists?
Zach Starkey! That dude sucks. Umm, Warhol, Banksy, Basquiat, Pettibon (does all the Black Flag art), James Nachtwey is a sick photographer. I like a lot of stuff. I like the idea of Pollock more than I like his work. I like all the Beautiful Losers stuff but don't know who's who or anything like that. I don't really follow art that much. I love street art like stencils and wheatpaste and may or may not have a couple works of my own around town.
- what was it like getting to Europe and being sent right back? What happened?
That was so lame. They wouldn't let me in because I didn't have a return flight since I had no idea how long my money would last. I had someone to stay with there and had my eurail pass and everything, was only gonna be in England for a couple days. I got sent to this holding room, basically like a jail/waiting room and the only other white guy was another bearded backpacker from Dublin, Oh. They let him in but not me. Luckily I flew Air India which has free meals and drinks in flight so I got loaded on free scotch on the way home. Pretty sure I saw Jaimie Lee Curtis at JFK. Oh, and then the bastards sent me to Akron instead of Columbus so I had to have my aunt drive all the way to Akron to pick me up. Fuck England! When I went back the following fall I flew into Germany and walked right in, hassle free. Overall, yeah, it sucked and was really unreal and strange, felt like a prisoner and flying for basically 24 straight hours in a circle sucks.
- Shout outs?
My friends all know who they are.

Photos: Chad, slashing at Powell / Ricky, Wallie in Upper Arllington / OMGB Rock to Fakie at Dodge / OMGB Frontside Grind at Powell / Kaleb frontside Air at Grove City...

No comments:

Post a Comment